About 1750 the countryside was remarkable for its wasteland and drifting sand. The first known owner of the inn was Peter Kristensen, and the village Hovborg only consisted of a handful of farms.
During the years from 1835 to 1862, Johan Kristoffer Steinmeier Sørensen left his mark on the operation of the inn as well as on the development of the area. A grocer’s shop was established, and he initiated the foundation of the Hovborg Plantage Company, and he is attributed the honor that the plantation had an early start in this area.
A subsequent innkeeper, Nicolaj Poulsen, was a competent farmer as well and about 1880 he was the first to grow sugar beets. But in 1888 his enterprise also found expression in the building of a water mill at the stream Holme Å, in the cultivation of large heathland areas and the organization of a so-called co-operative diary at the mill. He ended his life work by bestowing about 1,4 acres of land to be used for the building of a church and to establish a cemetery.
About the turn of the century (1900) Vorbasse market was one of the most important in central Jutland with an inrush to Hovborg Kro of up to 50 carriages and more than 100 guests. This became the time for a cautious restoration and extension of the inn, realized by the new owner Poul Nikolajsen. Belongings were sold for the erection of a power station, a new dairy and a sawmill as well as 25 stores and houses, and a temperance society was established.
In 1906 a monument was erected in Hovborg plantation for the deceased Johan Kristoffer Steinmeier Sørensen, and in the years to follow the inn dynasty were also the owners of the three ins Kryb-i-ly Kro, Bække Kro as well as Brædstrup Kro. So it has been living human beings, with public spirit and with the sense of movements of that period, who have influenced the operation of the inn and also the village, which mostly occupies the previous belongings of the inn.
The most recent owners of the inn dynasty, Peter Nikolajsen (deceased 1969) and his son Niels Nikolajsen (deceased 1983) continued the business in the same spirit and in 1977 a new conference center was established in the old stables.
In 1983 two Danish agriculture organizations (Danske Husmandsforeninger represented by Chr. Sørensen and De Danske Landboforeninger represented by P. Chr. Ottosen) bought the inn including surroundings, and the same year Hovborg Agricultural School was established as a center of education within the scope of agriculture and farming. On 1 April 1985 the present owners of the inn, Johanne and Jørgen Jørgensen, were engaged as managers of the inn, and on 1 July 1991 they entered into a lease of the inn to take full responsibility on 1 July 1999, when they bought the inn from the Danish agriculture organizations represented by Peter Gæmelke.